Code Enforcement

The Code Enforcement Division enforces Bay County Codes and Land Development Regulations for the unincorporated areas of Bay County.

Code Enforcement Website Portal

How do I file a complaint?

Please call us at 850-248-8290 between 8AM and 5PM, Monday through Friday. You may also email us any time at

January 9, 2024 Tornado:

Q: May I live in a camper or RV in unincorporated Bay County?
A: Pursuant to the Board of County Commissioners Meeting on January 17, 2024, Bay County will allow the placement of temporary emergency housing to those affected by the January 9, 2024, tornado storms.  This allows for temporary recreational vehicle housing, as defined in sec. 320.01 (b), FS, for no more than 2 years from the date of incident. 

Q: Can I burn my debris?
A: Outdoor burning is regulated by the Florida Forest Service (FFS). Current state restrictions on burning include a requirement to obtain permits for piles larger than eight feet in diameter and limit the pile to yard waste. Yard waste is any vegetative debris such as grass clippings, brush, leaves, tree limbs, palm fronds, etc. Residents must meet the required setbacks and the debris must fit in an eight-foot diameter pile or non-combustible container. Outdoor burning of yard waste is allowed after 8 a.m. All fires must be extinguished one hour before sunset. It is illegal to burn household garbage including paper products, treated lumber, plastics, rubber materials, tires, pesticide, paint and aerosol containers. You can view burning guidelines by reading this flyer. You can also check the Florida Forest Service’s current fire hazard conditions here.

Q: Can my landlord terminate my lease? If I am a landlord, may I evict a tenant?
A: Landlords do not have the right to terminate the lease due to damage to the unit. Landlords do not have the right to kick the tenant out in order to make repairs. Landlords cannot put language in a lease to waive the tenants rights under FSS 83.63. Landlords must follow Florida Statute if they wish to evict a tenant or terminate a lease due to nonpayment of rent or violation of the lease or statute. Further assistance is available from Legal Services of North Florida and the Florida Bar. During COVID-19, there may be restrictions or delays. Please check with the Clerk of Court for up-to-date information.

Q: How do I obtain building permits or become a licensed contractor?
A: Please visit the Bay County Builders Services page for information, applications, and email contacts.

Q: If my dwelling was destroyed, what type of structures may I replace it with?
A: Permits for new mobile homes and structures must be issued in compliance with County zoning. Contact the Planning Division to determine correct zoning on the parcel prior to applying for building permit. 

Q: May I solicit door-to-door for cleanup, contractor or repair services?
A: You must register for a Peddler’s Permit from Code Enforcement. There is a fee of $50 for processing the application to cover the cost of a background check. Completed applications must be delivered to the Code Enforcement office in person. Every applicant who is not a resident of Bay County or whose primary place of business is located outside the state must submit a bond running in favor of the County in the amount of $5,000.00. Please read the Peddler’s Permit Application as well as Bay County Code Chapter 19 for more information. Note that this permit is valid for the unincorporated areas of Bay County, and that each municipality, such as Panama City, may have permit requirements as well. Failure to register may be punishable as a misdemeanor, in accordance with F.S. § 125.69(1), by the Bay County Sheriff’s Office, and subject to fines and imprisonment.