How Can I Tell if I Have a Leak?
To check for water leaks you can use your water meter. To do so follow these easy steps:
- Turn off all the water uses in your house (faucets, dishwasher, laundry, irrigation system, etc.) and grab a screwdriver.
- Find your water meter. In most cases, it will be in front of your house near the sidewalk or street. The meter is in a small underground box. Look for a rectangular meter cover that could be made of cement, metal, or plastic.
- Lift the cover using the screwdriver or other tool.
- If there is more than one meter in the box, either you have more than one meter or one belongs to your neighbor. If you have two meters and one is for the irrigation system, turn on the irrigation system to find out which is the irrigation meter. If you share a meter box and one belongs to your neighbor, you can turn on an outside spigot on your house and see which meter turns in response to find out which meter is yours.
- Once you have identified the proper meter, lift the meter cap and look for the flow indicator - a small red or black triangle. If the flow indicator is not moving, there is no leak.
- Close the meter cap to protect the lens, and carefully replace the meter cover.